We’re thrilled to have been honored with the Steven Hines Partner of the Year Award for 2015 by Visit Loudoun at the 20th Annual Meeting & Tourism Awards ceremony today at Marriott Washington Dulles Airport! More than 2,000 hospitality professionals and others attended the event, including Congresswoman Barbara Comstock who provided opening remarks.
At the meeting, the following new members of the board of directors were installed:
- Chris Burns, Old Ox Brewery
- Reggie Cooper, Salamander Resort & Spa
- Sherri Cooper, PM Hotel Group
- Shye Gilad, Projet Aviation
- Jordan Harris, Tarara Winery
- Geoff Lawson, National Conference Center
- Jim Ruedinger, Hostel International
- Tony Stafford, Ford’s Fish Shack
Following their installaion, Destination Think’s Aaron Nissen presented a keynote speech hyperadvocating the virtues of the millenial generation and provided tips on how to reshape marketing strategies to create experiences rather than sell products. Visit Loudoun President and CEO Beth Erickson presented Nissen with an impromptu “Trophy for Participating” before turning to the Tourism Awards.
The Partner of the Year Award, which was renamed for the 2014 awards after Visit Loudoun founding member Steve Hines, in part recognizes our efforts to support Loudoun’s rural economy through our brewery and winery tours.
We were proud to share the stage with the other winners at today’s ceremony:
- Distinguished Partner: Loudoun Department of Economic Development
- Judy Paterson Tourism Award: Scott York, former chairman of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
- Tourism Employee of the Year, front-line: Tina Kumf, Hilton Garden Inn Washington Dulles
- Tourism Employee of the Year, management (co-winners): Lisa Wilhelm, Lansdowne Resort; Rohitha Basnayake, Hampton Inn
- Volunteer of the Year: Joe Becek, Northern Virginia Parks
- Distinguished Service: Tyiesha Thaxton, formerly with Lansdowne Resort
- Tourism Event of the Year, attendance over 3,000: PONY Nationals Girls Softball Tournament, Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Community Services
- Tourism Event of the Year, attendance up to 3,000: Ultimate Winemaker Experience, Loudoun Wineries Association
- Tourism Marketing Promotion/Campaign of the Year: Shocktober, Paxton Campus