If you are a JMU alumni or a Virginia college football fan, you will love this trip to James Madison University, home of the Dukes! Our vehicles will pick you up and take your group to Harrisonburg, Virginia for some great football, food and fun! There are lots of great restaurants and hangout places in this small college town in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. JMU’s Saturday football games start at different times in the afternoon every week so you will have to plan your hang-out stops around the day’s game time.
Stop 1 – Pre-game stop – Billy Jack’s
Billy Jack’s is one of the most popular and well-known places in Harrisonburg as a favorite hot-spot for JMU college students and alumni alike. Their menu of beers on tap and signature menu items like Redneck Nachos and Mac-n-Cheese Steak are a delicious way to start your pre-football game festivities! Open at 10 am on Saturday mornings, they have a yummy brunch menu that includes items like Scotch eggs and crab cake benedict. Billy’s is also a great post-game hangout staying open until 2 am on the weekends. Check out their special events calendar before your trip to see what’s going on there.
Stop 2 – Game time! James Madison Dukes Football
JMU’s Bridgeforth Stadium holds over 24,000 fans all decked out in university team colors of purple and gold! JMU is home to university mascot, Duke Dog, and he will be seen at the stadium in his purple and gold crown and cape at every game cheering on the crowds. Plan your trip date with the official JMU 2016 football schedule and buy your own tickets to the game on the JMU website before the tour. Ticket sales are $20-$45 per person per game and group ticket sales start as low as $16 per person. Follow the team’s Facebook page to find out more about the latest JMU football team scores and news. Just so you know, October 1 is Family Weekend and October 29 is Homecoming and both are huge events that make for the busiest and most crowded times of the year at JMU!
Stop 3 – Post-game stop – Clementine Café
Clementine Café is a perfect stop for a post-game party! At Clementine’s you will find great food, drinks, art, and live music at this trendy hangout on a Saturday night in Downtown Harrisonburg. Great quality food and drinks will be enjoyed in the restaurant’s warm and glowy atmosphere. The menu has some excellent choices for both meat lovers and vegans. Clementine’s is open from 11 am until 10 pm, making it a good choice for a pre- or post-game stop on Saturday games days.
Although Clementine’s closes at 10 pm on Saturday nights, don’t be dismayed! — the party moves downstairs to the basement nightclub at Ruby’s! Ruby’s is a cozy bar with DJs, live music and dancing, and the party goes on until closing at 2 am. Drinks and pub food are available. When things start getting too hot inside the club, you can get a breath of fresh air outside on the outdoor patio. Check Ruby’s schedule of upcoming shows so you will know who is playing before your visit. Ruby’s is also available to rent for private parties.
- Massanutten Adventures, http://www.canoe4u.com/
- Outdoor Adventure Experiences, http://www.outdooradventureexperiences.com/
- Skyline Drive, http://www.visitskylinedrive.org/Home.aspx
- CrossKey Vineyards, http://www.crosskeysvineyards.com/
- Pale Fire Brewing Co., palefirebrewing.com
- Wolfe Street Brewing, https://www.facebook.com/wolfestreetbrewing/
- Jack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint, http://www.jackbrownsjoint.com
- Jimmy Madison’s, http://www.jimmymadisons.com/
- Union Station, http://www.unionstationdowntown.com/site/
- Visit Harrisonburg, http://www.visitharrisonburgva.com/
- VA is for Lovers, http://www.virginia.org/
- Hardesty-Higgins House Visitor Center, http://www.visitharrisonburgva.com/visitors/
- James Madison University, http://www.jmu.edu/
- Billy Jack’s Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/billy-jacks-wing-and-draft-shack-harrisonburg
- Clementine’s Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/clementine-harrisonburg?osq=clementines
- Ruby’s: A Snapshot of Harrisonburg: https://downtownhburg.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/rubys-a-snapshot-of-harrisonburg/
Billy Jacks Collage: Billy Jacks Wing and Draft Shack
Game-Time Collage: James Madison University
Clementine Cafe Collage: Clementine Cafe
Interested in taking your own experiential tour to Harrisonburg, VA without worrying about driving? We have vehicles ranging in size from sedans to motorcoaches and can accommodate any size group. Booking your vehicle is as easy as 1-2-3!